Wednesday, August 22, 2007

And we're off! Classes have begun.

I had my first class this afternoon. It was great to be back on campus in student-mode, although the hot and sticky (yet inexplicably dry) weather made for a bit of unpleasantness on the busing and walking fronts. This semester will be an interesting mix of fairly advanced (for me, anyway) theory, research method training, and practical skill development. I think that the class I'm most looking forward to is Preservation, which has to do with stuff like this.

On the work front, I'm still getting my bearings, but it, so far, mostly has to do with stuff like:
  • Answering reference questions, mostly scientific stuff.
  • Verifying citations.
  • Query building and database searching (PubMed and Web of Science and whatnot).
  • Traditional library stuff: Checking materials in and out, as well as a little bit of indexing and cataloging.

I have one ongoing project, which has to do with making a little spreadsheet or DB to allow for the Director to produce reports about relative impact ratings for NIEHS-authored publications. Kinda cool.

I reckon that's about it for now. Carry on.