Friday, October 5, 2007

Goodbye, 'Lander.

It's interesting how certain people, places, events, media, etc. can catch us as just the right developmental phase and plant a deep seed of affection. One example in my case, as my friends can attest: I was a huge fan of the movie Highlander. I first saw the original film as part of a cinema immersion over at Jason and Ryan's house, sandwiched between -- and I am 100% certain that my memory is faulty on this one -- Lethal Weapon and Raw Deal. I was hooked immediately and rented it from the Video Station the next night to watch with Dad (it was important, you see, to share my discovery).

I suppose that my immediate fascination was borne of that perfect storm of goofy production values, pseudo-epic mythology, quasi-martial arts, location shots in Scotland, and the bizarre coolness of marble-mouthed Chris Lambert (who, just to burst your bubble, was actually born in Great Neck, New York). Any freudian readings of my interest that center on a fascination with two sweaty, male, warriors swordfighting involves issues nicely repressed, thank you. Since then, I've seen the original movie dozens of times, and I've seen every one of the theatrical versions in the theaters on their opening weekend. I have seen every episode of the television series and can quote blah-blah, etc., etc... I don't need to belabor my Highlander-cred; Just accept that it holds a dear place in my heart.

Which brings me to Highlander: The Source. I don't have the heart or motivation to really review this thing, but suffice it to say that it was really, really, bad. All of the threats to a film's potential quality that come from issues like multiple directors and screenwriters, shoe-string budgets, the weight of leaden narrative continuity, multi-national production "support," B- list actors, derivative plots, etc. created a volatile cesspit of quality that, when sparked by at least three horrible ideas for breaking new ground with the core concept, ignited into a conflagration of cinematic crap. I've known for a while that there really don't seem to be any more Highlander stories to tell, and this movie, unfortunately, proved it. The "rules" of a Highlander movie -- part of what made it so cool to a 13-year-old -- define a very specific, and limited, storytelling environment. I'm absolutely certain that The Source has killed Highlander for the time being, just as I bet the people (Panzer and Davis; one of whom, I think, is now dead (which must make for some odd business meetings)) that own the rights will decide that the only way to spin up the engine on their derailed money train will be to remake the original one of these days. Shrug.

If nothing else, The Source is a fitting cap for my Highlander experience, the firebomb to balance out that long-ago hurricane of my interest and excitement. "Who wants to live forever?" indeed.